3D Modeling - Church

Bench

In the second quartile of my study (Creative Media & Game Technologies), I had to chose my own learning outcomes. I decided to learn 3D modeling and texturing. I choose for 3D modeling because I really wanted to get familiar with the workflow of a 3D-artists. I work very often together with artists and in a lot of cases, I’m always the one who’s importing and setting up all the 3D models and materials in the engine. As an engineer, I think it’s important to know how 3D models are made so I am able to detect mistakes in the models. It will improve my communication with artists because I’m familiar with the terminology, and I will be able to model objects myself to use as placeholders to increase the fidelity of a prototype.

I learned all the modeling basics for Blender 2.8 by watching a Udemy course. After feeling comfortable with the most basic elements I set a modeling goal for myself. My goal is to create a 3D model of a church. I chosen to create a church because there are a lot of possibilities in shapes and details. I started off creating a bench because this seemed easy to start with. It took me quite some time to create my first model, especially the UV Mapping took a lot of time. Besides of that I am really satisfied with how my first model turned out.

Church

After modeling the bench I felt like nothing could stop me and I immediately started working on the church itself. I kind of regret this but on the other hand I don’t, because diving into depth is a common way for me to learn new skills.  I started with creating the gate and the window. Then I blocked out the complete building and tried a few different layouts. After having the right layout I made all the other parts off the church.

Modeling the church went really well (at least I thought so), but when I started to UV mapping the church I found a lot of mistakes in my mesh (flipped normals, doubled vertices, etc.). I also made the entire model in one mesh so I later separated the roof, main walls, windows and details from each other in separate meshes.

Final Results

When the UV was done I finally could start texturing the model. For texturing, I used Substance Painter. The texturing was pretty easy. I watched a few videos and I immediately understood all the basic methods in Substance to get started with texturing.

To complete the final step of the Artist workflow. I exported the Model and all the textures to Unity (HDRP). I set up a simple scene and played around with different ways of lighting. I am really satisfied with how the final render in Unity turned out. It felt really good that I could fly around in my self-made building. 

The complete building (frame, walls, roof and windows) are 34.316 triangles together. If I had to optimize the triangle count on the church I could have decreased the detail on the windows. The 10 windows together are 28.680 triangles. This is mainly because I beveled all the bricks, this makes them look a bit rounder/softer but also increases the triangle count a lot.